Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Change of Pace--Pumpkin Muffins

I thought I would do something a little bit different today and share a wonderful Pumpkin muffin recipe with you.
Now, I suffer from allergies and an eosinophilic disorder which cause to many problems to describe. What I can eat is limited and the list is always getting smaller.
These muffins contain no milk, no egg, no soy, no nuts and no oil!

I used fresh pumpkin from our garden but you can just as easily use pumpkin puree from a can. Just make sure it has no spices added.

What you need.

2 cups pureed sugar pumpkin or canned

3 cups unbleached all purpose flour, you can substitute 2 cups whole wheat if you like

1/12 cups brown sugar, firmly packed

2 teaspoons backing soda

1/2 teaspoon backing powder

2 teaspoons ground cloves                        

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon                        

2teaspoons ground nutmeg                          

1 teaspoon allspice                                      
-------------------------------------------------------------
Spices can be substituted with 2 tablespoons pumpkin spice
-------------------------------------------------------------
2/3 cup applesauce (this is used in the place of oil)

3 tablespoons shelled flax meal mixed with 135ml of water. **This is 3 tablespoons water to every       tablespoon flax. Mix together and let stand.***note if you can eat egg, you can replace flax mix with three eggs, since the flax is a substitute for egg!


To make pumpkin puree, cut small sugar pumpkin in half scoop out seeds and strings. *seeds can be saved and roasted for a yummy snack.  Place cut side down on a baking sheet lined with tin foil or parchment paper.   I find if you don't do this the natural sugars in the pumpkin make for some very hard scrubbing.
Then cover with tinfoil and place in the oven at 350  degrees F(175C) until fork tender. About 90 minutes.
Remove skin and you can either puree with a fork or in a blender/food processor.

1.  Preheat over to 350 F.  Paper line muffin tin.  Trust me line with paper or you will be cleaning your tins for a week.

2. In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda and powder, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice.
    In a medium bowl, mix/beat together, pumpkin, flax mix, and applesauce.

3. Combine pumpkin mix with dry ingredients. This is a thick batter.  Just keep mixing. These are beautifully moist dense muffins. But mixing by hand you'll wonder if there is enough moisture. Keep mixing until batter is smooth and blended.

4. Scoop batter into prepared muffin tin. Bake 20 to 25 minutes. Until tooth pick comes out pretty clean.

Last but not least, enjoy!
I made these last night, the recipe made about 18 regular muffins.  I had 2 when they were done. Soooo yummy! I had 2 for breakfast, my son had one.   That means my hubby had 7 this morning. I hope some made it in his lunch bag. Because we only have six left.
That's how good this recipe turned out.

It was actually surprising for me that they were so good.  I have always had allergies but I could have  egg, milk and soy. But I recently found out that these new allergies in conjuncture with my eosinophilc disorder were making me really sick.  So they had to go.  I'm learning how and what to eat with allergies and this disorder all over again.

Well friends, I hope you enjoy the recipe like we did here on The Car Farm!




 Sorry webcam image!

No comments:

Post a Comment